Stateline air park
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gieger is still alive

3 posters

Go down

Gieger is still alive Empty Gieger is still alive

Post  gieger Tue 28 Oct 2008, 07:40

Hey guys just wanted to drop a line in and let you know that though myself and my brother have not been playing in the last few monthes, it is not for lack of trying. My RL schedule and my brothers has been very hectic and it seems that the summer and fall our definitely our busy times. My schedule has been further hampered by my wife getting a job, which is great and sucks at the same time as she works most weekends and thats when I am watching my little ones and can't play. Guess its partially my fault she didn't spawn three kids alone. Anyhow I am hoping to get back out there and have some fun in November, and especially my birthday the big 30 on the 21st of Nov.

In other news I am the new owner of a Mosin Nagant M91-30 russian pre-WW2 Battle rifle. It shoots 7.62x54R cartiges and I have cleaned the bloody daylight's outa the thing and mounted a 2.5x30 scope. Sadly my grandfather passed away end of last week so we (my brother and I) are going to pay our respects, but out of all sadness might spring some good, and this weekend will mark my first shots through this rifle to hopefully get her sighted in and see just how bad 21FTLB of recoil really is. She hasn't yet earned a name though I feel that after she is shot one will become evident for good or ill. Will keep you guys posted on this seperately. My brother is also bringing his plethora of realsteel and ammunition so should be a good time.

PS in other news the scope I got might have some great applications in the airsoft realm. It's an NC star pistol scope and offers extreme eye relief (Eye relief is simply the distance from the rear of the scope at which the eye sees the full field of view from the scope) which is great for certain weapons that mount the scope really far forward. This one is in excess of 10 inches which if you dont know is incredible. Some of the variable mag models range from 10-14 though you will pay a bit more for those. I will say though that the scope rings that come with are terrible. Going to walmart to pick up some nicer ones, and a slip on butt pad (the current one is steel and obviously doesn't soak up any sort of recoil). I got my model for $37, and I did find it for $31 (after I bought it) at an airsoft online retailer.
Gieger
gieger
gieger
OGR Special Ops
OGR Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Gieger is still alive Empty Re: Gieger is still alive

Post  Greybush Tue 28 Oct 2008, 14:03

Glad to see you back on the board. We lost your ping on radar there my friend.
Greybush
Greybush
OGR Gangster
OGR Gangster

Back to top Go down

Post  I.K. Wed 29 Oct 2008, 17:20

21ftlb Isn't so bad!

Have fun, let us know who it shoots!

I.K.
private

Location : About 200 yards away waiting for the wind to stop...

Back to top Go down

Gieger is still alive Empty Post shooting review

Post  gieger Mon 03 Nov 2008, 10:40

Well gents, I have shot the M91-30, and it rattled the scope mount right off the rifle. So the blue locktite is a necesity that I need to buy before proceeding. I was already considering replacing the scope rings that came with the scope and that is now confirmed as the forward ring was rattled loose. It got so bad... I took off the mount entirely and went back to the iron sights and after that began hitting things. The recoil wasn't that bad... I shot standing and sitting(indian style) with my elbo braced on my knee and niether was worse than the other. I didn't go prone as the grass would have made that troublesome to site on. The only real problem with accuracy is the trigger pull. This rifle has one of the simplest triggers ever put into a firearm, and its trigger pull is a direct result of this. No springs to change, only a tensioner which I'm wearry of messing with. I still need to bench shoot it for accuracy and then follow up with the scope mount and checking the mounts stability. But after 25 rounds without the slip on butt pad, I think its going to be a nice rifle when I do get the slip on or screw-in buttpad, and especially if I decide to change the stock out for a sporterized plastic stock. The wood stock is nice and meaty but gets dinged really easily.

Forgot to add this, becuase of where I was shooting I only had about 54 meters to practice on. and the lowest setting for the ladder is 100M. So I had to manually adjust that which was difficult but manageable. The 2.5x30 scope was plenty powerful and I almost wish that I could turn it down at that close of a range. I am looking forward to trying some bag shots at 100M but I want it scoped in at 200M.
Gieger

Last edited by gieger on Mon 03 Nov 2008, 10:44; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)
gieger
gieger
OGR Special Ops
OGR Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down